Information for NSD in-person dome schools for 2021:
What is Dome School?
We have created a fact-filled, hands-on, 3-day workshop that will show you all the ins and outs of what it takes to build your own wood frame Natural Spaces dome home.
Did we mention how simple it is to build our dome shell? All you really need is a hammer. Our Super-Wal strut with our unique metal ends attached fits into a special hub. You lock the two parts together by pounding a bolt/pin in place. No need to come back and tighten anything – you just move on to the next strut. Our dome framework is self-supporting as you build it.
Then it’s on to the plywood skin. Our pre-cut 3/4″ plywood exterior triangles are nailed onto the strut with your nail gun (or hammer) – we supply the nails with your kit. All the components are color coded.
Our custom engineered dome kit eliminates all of those old-fashioned 2×4 or 2×6 studs in between the triangle strut framework, saving you money and, more importantly, saving you lots of time upon the dome shell.
Now, you don’t have to attend our dome school to learn how to put up our dome system. We supply a very extensive construction manual with each dome, but dome school eliminates the fear of the unknown. You gain experience making, handling, and constructing real size dome components in our shop and outside when we erect a 20′ high section of a dome.
You will also get a chance to build and install insulation, vapor barriers, interior triangles, skylights, dome venting systems, shingling systems, and other dome components. You’ll see how riser walls and extensions are framed and finished.
We also go over dome terms – not too many, but enough for you to understand what we are talking about when we mention high, mid, and low profile, frequencies, and other terms.
You will be living and breathing domes for 3 days! You will come away with enlightenment about domes and an enthusiasm that carries over to your dome building project.
Here’s Why You Should Attend
- Because this is the first and still the only 3 day Dome School that takes you out of the lecture hall, puts you into the workshop, and onto our Dome School Dome, giving you hands-on construction site experience.
- Because with today’s higher building costs, the only way to afford a new home is to participate in the building process.
- To learn how to keep your energy costs down by using our design techniques developed from planning and building hundreds and hundreds of domes.
- To learn how to save money and time using our proven construction techniques developed from helping dome owner-builders for over 40 years.
- The workshop is open to anyone who’s interested in learning to build a dome or those who want to have control of their dome building project. Give us a weekend of your time and we’ll give you the hands-on experience you need to get your dome started.
- Learn the options and details about Natural Spaces domes by studying the 7 domes at our dome school headquarters.
We have been teaching dome school for over 46 years. It is fun, for us and for all those attending. The rewards are shown in the hundreds of domes built by dome school graduates.
Have questions? Give us a call or email
Call to order – 651- 674-4292
International Orders – 01-651-674-4292
Our dome school agenda may vary from school to school. Below is a general program of what we do in dome school. Bring your questions to the experts and share your dreams with other novice builders. You’ll save time, money and future frustration on your dream dome.
We look forward to meeting you and helping make your dome dreams come true!