Preliminary Steps to Beginning Your Dome Project
It’s a great idea to first jump into the free DomeTalk Zoom Room to get a few questions answered. Also if you have the opportunity to actually visit our headquarters and tour the domes that is helpful but not necessary. Right now we have COVID19 restrictions in place and you can learn about those by calling our headquarters. 651-674-4292 The information below is basic and there are exceptions to the rules but this covers the most common steps to building a dome with Natural Spaces Domes. If you are not building a dome and instead repairing, adding, replacing skylights, etc, it is best to schedule a consultation time with the first 1/2 hour free.
1. Try to start with some idea of a floor plan that you believe you want. If you can find a plan that is close to what you want on our website, let us know which plan. You can order an interior planning kit here or you can email something you have sketched out. Starting out, we suggest a first half hour free consultation with Derek to get most of your preliminary questions answered. You can check on our site to determine the approximate cost of your dome. Click here.
2. At this point it might be wise to have a half-hour free consultation with Dennis. There will be times you can speak with Derek as well but Dennis does the drawing.
3. Next, Dennis will estimate how many hours the plan will take to draw up and then a Work Authorization with a quote is sent to you to sign. Keep in mind that having the land for your dome at this point is almost necessary. Site information has to be provided and will be discussed.
Once the work authorization is signed and returned with a deposit, you will be put in the queue for drawings. You will be given an estimate on the timing.
4. After the preliminary drawings are complete, they are sent to you and you will review and talk with Dennis or Derek if changes are needed. You will have the opportunity to ask lots of questions and discuss changes to your plan. At this stage, we can create an accurate quote for all Natural Spaces products.
5. When the plans are agreed upon, construction drawings are begun. There will be a quote for the cost of the drawings and work related to them. There’s a lot to consider at this point. Engineering, local requirements, local weather, heating/cooling systems, etc.
6. When the construction drawings are complete and approved by all, a contract is created and signed before beginning the construction of the dome. The order for shop production begins with a signature and a paid deposit. You will discuss and be given a schedule including shipping cost information as well.
7. The sooner all of the above is agreed upon the sooner you will get in the queue to have your dome built and shipped to you. If you would like to have virtual zoom support while your dome is being raised click here to learn about the cost.